Thursday, January 31, 2019
As 2019 begins and we take a moment to reflect on the various challenges brought before us in 2018, it is clear that we stood together and grew stronger as Local 459 Union Members, Officers, and Leadership. As we look into the beginning of the new year there is no slowing down.
In January 2019:
- Business Rep. Rick Ackley and the negotiating committee from Jamestown, N.Y. Board of Public Utilities (BPU) worked extremely hard over the last few months on a new 4-year contract before presenting the offer for the members consideration. The agreement was accepted by 63%.
Upcoming contract negotiations on the horizon look like this:
- A.M.E.S. The current agreement expires on February 28, 2019 and negotiations are currently underway.
- Brookfield Renewable Energy Group. (Piney and Deep Creek hydro generating stations) The current agreement expires on May 14, 2019. Meetings with the bargaining unit are being scheduled prior to negotiations.
- GenOn (Shawville, Keystone and Conemaugh generating stations) The current agreement also expires on May 14, 2019. A survey has been sent to all GenOn bargaining unit members to provide the negotiating committee input of any concerns prior to negotiations.
- NRG. (Seward generating station) The current agreement expires on May 14, 2019 as well. A survey has been sent to all Seward station, NRG production and maintenance bargaining unit members to provide the negotiating committee input of any concerns prior to negotiations.
- Village of Westfield, N.Y. The current agreement expires on May 31, 2019. Meetings are scheduled with the bargaining unit to discuss their concerns for the upcoming contract negotiations.
- Looking a little further into 2019, negotiations will begin with two more bargaining units at the Seward generating station. On June 30, 2019 Latrobe Window Cleaning (LWC)expires and the SOLLCO agreement expires on August 31, 2019.
To recap: 3 of the 7 mentioned contracts expire the same day, May 14, 2019, and at the Seward generating station, Local 459 represents 3 different bargaining groups who work for 3 different employers: NRG, LWC and SOLLCO. All three contracts expire in 2019.
On behalf of the Membership, I would like to thank Local 459 Vice President Tony Henry for seamlessly performing the duties of acting Local 459 President. Tony's years of experience by being involved with our Union and serving as an officer in many capacities has benefited the members of Local 459. Thank you for stepping up for the Local.